I had the opportunity to speak with professional makeup artist, Deika Diaz, who gave me the inside scoop on everything makeup: from the hottest, trendiest looks, to the absolute best timesaving tips. This season, be sure to have the sexiest products in your makeup bag! With Deika’s tips, you will easily look chic and stylish.
First and foremost, Deika discusses principle time saving suggestions.
- When you are in a rush, it is definitely NOT the right day to attempt to create that new look you have been yearning to try out. As always, ladies, practice makes perfect. A fresh makeup look takes much preparation in advance before it resembles excellence.
- Always use primer. With primer, your makeup will keep its boldness and beauty throughout the entire day, without touchups or reapplication. Deika’s favorite brands include: MAC paint pots and Urban Decay Eye Shadow Potion.
- During the makeup application process, Deika recommends applying eye makeup firstto avoid botching up your foundation.
- Your fingers and Q-tips are actually great tools for applying makeup.
- For a well-rested and brighter look, apply a skin toner liner on your inner eye rims.
Deika shared her personal Makeup looks for during the day, versus going out at night…
Deika’s Day Makeup:
- A fresh, clean face is the way to go. Fresh dewy skin, bright eyes and a rosy apricot cheek paired with a glossy cheek is a GREAT and EASY look to achieve.
Deika’s Night Look:
Now ladies, it’s the time to bring out the color on the eyes and lips.
- A smokey eye is always great and fierce!
- A cat eye is sophisticated and gorgeous. This look is best done with a gel liner, (MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack) or liquid liner works great too.
- A great way to change from day to evening: apply a nice champagne highlighter on your brow bone and in the inside corner of your eyes (tear ducts) apply a gel or liquid liner. Curl your lashes and add a fresh coat of mascara to the top and bottom lashes.
First, let’s focus on the eyes. Deika took some of the latest and hottest trends seen in New York’s Fashion Week and shared them with us.
- Bright and Bold eyes: Whether it’s orange, blue, yellow, or a metallic with a hint of shimmer…remember to keep it classy and tasteful.
- If you’re going for the bold eyes, go for a more natural lip. This avoids having your eyes compete with the rest of your face.
- If you prefer a bold lip, go easy on the eyes.
- If you dare and go with both a bold eye and lip, keep the blush to a bare minimum.
- The timeless cat eye look will forever be sharp and sexy.
Next in line comes the luscious lip. Deika stresses how important it is to choose a lip color that compliments your skin tone. A touch of color is always necessary, whether you choose it to be nude or deep color. Always exfoliate and moisturize, especially during the winter and summer when lips tend to be dry. This way, Deika says that it is a guarantee that your lips will “look and feel great whether [paired] with gloss or lipstick.” And, of course, wearing your makeup proudly and with much poise is consistently the trendiest tip of all!
Deika’s Do’s and Don’ts:
- NEVER apply your foundation one or two shades darker believing you will look tanner. Truth is, your skin will just look uneven.
- Always start light, and then work darker: “Use your correct shade, and then use a bronzer to add color to your face.”
- Use a “light hand” when putting on your foundation. You can add more if you feel extra coverage is necessary.
- If your skin tends to be oily, use a finishing powder. Deika recommends the Make Up For Ever’s HD Microfinish Powder.
- “Don’t share your brushes unless you want to share bacteria.” Your brushes are yours to use; no one else’s.
- Do not go “overboard” when applying makeup. Piling on layers, will result in a fake, unnatural overall look.
- If you suffer from skincare issues, such as acne, do not rely on makeup to conceal all of your problems. Your first priority should be clearing up your skin. Caking on layers of makeup will definitely not help the situation.
- Practicefresh new looks. If you make a mistake or don’t like something, start over again.
- Just because something is the new hot style, it does not mean it is the right trend for you.
Q & A with Deika and her Makeup Bag:
Me: How long should you keep your makeup?
Deika: If you keep your makeup all in one bag, make sure to keep things clean! Bacteria and germs are SO NOT COOL! If you use sponge applicators for your foundation, change them often. Get in the habit of washing your brushes at least every other week. With mascaras, I like the 3-month rule. Chances are, if you can’t remember where and when you bought the makeup, it’s time to toss it and start fresh.
Me: Lip liner; necessary or not?
Deika: Lip liner can be used for different reasons, whether it’s to create a fuller lip, or to prevent lipstick from bleeding. It is best to use a natural tone; if you prefer color, choose one that blends in with your lipstick to prevent having an odd line left around your lips when your lip color begins to fade.
Me: If you were appearing on Survivor and could only bring one item, which makeup item would you choose?
Deika: Oh goodness, this is such a tough decision. I have to choose wisely. So if I’m on Survivor I know I will be outside, which means I will be tan! I’m sure someone will have sunscreen, so I’ll borrow theirs, and at least get a safe tan. So I’d have to choose my concealer, because these dark circles MUST be covered if nothing else will be. And, if I can sneak one more item, waterproof mascara is definitely coming with me!
Me: A good suggested routine/order for applying makeup?
Deika: In order to have nice makeup you must have your skin well prepped:
- First, apply anything medicated (treatment cream for acne, rosacea etc. or anti-aging products). This way the active ingredients can properly penetrate the skin. If you use a heavier cream make sure you let it sink in to your skin before applying anything else over it.
- Apply eye cream. (You may feel you don’t need one now, but it’s always better to prevent than to treat).
- Apply sunscreen. To save time and money, apply a moisturizer with a sunscreen already in it.
- Apply eye makeup.
- Apply Primer.
- Apply your foundation. My favorite foundation is BareMinerals Original Foundation. If you’re on the oilier side, BareMinerals Matte Foundation works great.
- Apply your under eye concealer. If you have dark circles, use a neutralizer under the concealer (Bobbi Brown has a great one!). If you’re using a mineral or powder foundation, apply your concealer first.
- Set your foundation with a translucent powder if you are using a liquid foundation.
- Apply bronzer.
- Apply blush.
Me: Any last words of advice?
Deika: You don’t need to break the bank. When it comes to makeup, keep your options open. You may just end up loving that item from the drugstore over a high end one. “Less is more” is the first rule to honor when applying your makeup. Makeup should be FUN; it’s meant to enhance your Natural Beauty, not hide it! So let’s not make it into rocket science.
Have fun ladies and stay beautiful!!